Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Food Storage!


The mormon in me is coming out hardcore today! With all the news about this swine flu, and without any degree of panic, I thought it might be a good time to get a few extra rations of pasta, canned beans, dried beans and grains, juice, nuts, taco seasonings, bullion cubes, albacore, salmon, soup, peanut butter, etc. I know that this situation nationally seems very much under control, but Linda (Don's mom) is here and she had me look frankly up into my cupboard to see if I could last 3 days here in a possible lockdown. The cupboard wasn't exactly BARE, but I figured a few extra things is always a good idea regardless of whether an actual emergency arises. Another useful tidbit: in an emergency where water has been turned off, it is safe to drink the water in the toilet tank! (NOT the bowl where you do your business!!) However, it is not safe to use the tank water if you use those "cleaners" in the tank. They will make the water toxic obviously. If you are grossed out by that notion, you can always clean your tank on a monthly basis just to be secure.

I think some basic food storage is a good idea. I must say, however, that mormon concepts of food storage usually include an extremely unhealthy dose of fear. A lot of mormon food storage spaces also serve as a constant reminder to faithful or semi-faithful LDS everywhere that the end of the world is nigh upon us, and you better be paying your tithing and obeying the prophet's every command or else you will be BURNED CRISPY BITCHES. Get out that second earring, throw away your tank tops, and don't use any crrrrazy fingernail polish OR ELSE. I don't agree with fear tactics, but I guess if you are going to be scared shitless anyway, you might as well have a decent food storage.

5 comments:

MoHoHawaii said...

I agree that food storage Mormon style is kind of insane.

I keep my pantry stocked because it's cheaper to buy food wholesale at the restaurant supply store.

Bravone said...

Clark, you crack me up, especially since I just filled several more jugs of water and tucked them nicely in our concrete food storage room! I don't know if I have a year's supply, but I find satisfaction in growing a garden, harvesting and canning our own food. It is therapeutic and brings back the farm boy in me.

When I come to visit, I'll remember to bring my own 72 hour survival kit. :)

Jen said...

Is George W. Mormon? LOL He's had us living in fear for years now.

The Lead Singer said...

You know what I love about food storage? That even if you're never going to use it, it still makes you feel better that you have it. Kind of like the mormon chuch - even if it's not true it makes people feel like they have insurance just in case it might be true.

CLARK JOHNSEN said...

LOL!