Monday, March 21, 2011

Delving back into the Book of Mormon

This week is the opening night for a new Broadway Musical:



Besides being really excited as a self proclaimed ex-mormon to have this musical come to the great white way, its even more exciting that I am able to be a part of it! I am in the ensemble of the show- which in this show means that I spend almost the entire show as a missionary. (Although I do make a brief appearance as Brigham Young!!) Being able to relive an experience that was as vivid as a mormon mission is a rare experience, and it is one that I am cherishing with every breath. The show is INCREDIBLY well written, well acted, and well directed and choreographed. It is one of those rare theatrical experiences where all the parts have come together in perfect alchemy to make solid gold.

During our preview process, I have already met a couple of people from the blogosphere at the stage door after the show! One young man told me that he has watched several of my youtube videos, and he introduced me to his boyfriend! Another pair of handsome guys told me on this last Saturday that they used to read this very blog- you know, back when I used to actually write in this very blog. In this very blog, there's quite enough love for one like me... I digress. In any case, it is due to those 2 new friends from Saturday that I am writing this post. I realize that this is going to be an experience that I am going to want to document- if for no other reason than just recording it for myself. After all, it is my heritage to record my personal history, and so I shall continue, even if sparsly so.

9 comments:

David B Baker said...

Welcome back! I can't wait to see you as Brother Brigham on the great white way. You know that there will be mobs of LGBT mormons cheering you on on Friday!

MoHoHawaii said...

Sounds like fun! I can't wait to see the show.

John Gustav-Wrathall said...

Yeah, I want to see the show too. I'm actually thinking of making a trip to NY just so we can see it.

Anonymous said...

@ John: there is a great review of this musical here: http://blog.beliefnet.com/flunkingsainthood/2011/03/a-mormon-reviews-broadway%E2%80%99s-new-book-of-mormon-musical.html

lanabanana said...

Will be watching on Fri night and I do so hope that we will finally get to meet!!

Alanna

Mister Curie said...

The show was amazing! I'd love to read some insider views on the show, things like changes that were made from the beginnings of rehearals to the show actually opening.

Mary Ellen said...

Can't wait to see the show!

In the meantime, we're having a panel discussion about the Book of Mormon Musical at the August 2011 Sunstone Symposium. If you're interested, we'd love to have an insider's view!

Rachael said...

Hi Clark!

I know you won't remember me, but I went to BYU with you back in the day, we did Crazy for You at the good ol SCERA, and I saw the Book of Mormon Musical on opening weekend, and there you are before my eyes! It was so great, I loved the show. Would love to get in touch with you and I'm so glad to see you doing so well and having so much success. Take Care!

Rachael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.